In the bedroom, for every ‘Oh Yes!’ there’s always an ‘Oh No!’ especially when it comes to design. So here are my top 6 decorating strategies designed to capture or rekindle the romance and rest assured night after night.
1. BANISH THE BEDTIME STORIES. Under no circumstances are you to sleep on an ex’s bed. I don’t care if it cost a fortune and you got it in your divorce. You’ll get it in your next one if you keep that up. Since every item in the home has a story, the last thing you want you or your mate thinking about when you crawl between the sheets is your ex. It’s bad juju.
Being newly single, it’s important that you wipe the slate clean. As a couple starting out, it’s even more important that you shop for a new bed together. Not only to help each of you obtain your individual comfort levels but also maintain a little peace of mind. The bedroom is about creating new memories; not rehashing old ones.
2. UNISEX YOUR SPACE. Avoid an overly masculine or feminine style in the bedroom. Go for a gender neutral look. Make unilateral decisions about wall colors and furniture styles and always opt for uber comfortable bamboo or Egyptian cotton when it comes to sheets. Unlike most of the Gods, the Egyptians were known for a little nooky.
To score extra points in the bedroom, take design cues from the location of your first date, your honeymoon or the color of your partner’s eyes.
3. PARE DOWN TO PAIRS. Clutter is not sexy. Period. So unless all your stuff is contained inside a dresser or closet, pare down all accessories in the bedroom to pairs. Everything in the bedroom should echo that fact that it’s two people coming together; not three or more.
If you lose your way, remember my mantra… if there’s more than two, it’s no longer about you.
4. TO TV OR NOT TO TV? THAT IS THE QUESTION. Shakespeare would agree, the bedroom is for rest & romance. Avoid the temptation to double up and use the space as an office, craft room or home gym. I know space is a commodity in many of today’s homes; but so is love. So limit all distractions from the main attraction. That includes the tube.
5. BASK IN THE GLOW. Do not have direct overhead lighting in the bedroom for rest or romance. It’s like getting caught in the backseat of a car at a Piggly Wiggly parking lot. Low level, indirect lighting is the perfect alternative.
Find table lamps or sconces (wall mounted lights) with darker shades to emit a warm glow on you and your partner. Dim lighting also signals the body that it’s time to wind down or wind up. Wink, wink.
6. CREATE A SIGNATURE SCENT! Our sense of smell is over ten thousand times more sensitive than our sense of taste. Using too many fragrances in one space can be overwhelming. If you’re combining perfume with candles, flowers, room spray and potpourri, you should apply for a job at the Macy’s perfume counter.
Pick one signature scent like cinnamon, basil, lavender, ginger or almond (which men love) and use it exclusively in the bedroom. My personal fav — Arcadia by Voluspa. This way, the signature scent becomes a trigger the minute you walk in the room. Booyah!
To learn more about boosting your bedroom appeal, check out my on-line chat with Niecy Nash on ‘Let’s Talk About Love‘.
Got a great idea for creating the perfect love nest? I’d love to hear it in the comments below.
Until next time…